Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a psychologist?

A.  The use of the label "Psychologist" is regulated by law.  In order to call oneself a Psychologist and practice psychology, one must have completed a doctoral (Ph.D., Psy.D. or Ed.D) program from a university accredited by the American Psychological Association.  In addition they have to have had at least 2 years of practice under supervision (one year before graduation and one year after graduation), to have passed the written and oral Board of Psychology State Exams and the Jursiprudence (legal) Board State Exam.


Q. What is your specialty?

A.  I have had extensive experience with people with both physical and chronic disability.  This experience has allowed me to become Board Certified as a Diplomate and Senior Disability Analyst.  I also see individuals for counseling related to depression, anxiety, ADD and other psychological problems.  As a part of my training I have had one year of supervision at the Dallas Family Institute and feel comfortable working with couples. I supervise graduate students at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in the Rehabilitation Science Department.


Q. What insurance do you accept?

A. Insurance panels keep changing as new plans are developed and old plans dropped.  My recommendation is to call your insurance carrier and verify that I am on your plan. Do not forget to ask for benefits and co-pays.  It is better that you hear it first hand from your insurance than have us tell you and later find out that what the insurance told us was different than what they told you (yes, unfortunately some insurances do that).


Q. Why isn't there an e-mail address or why can't I contact you by e-mail?

A.  E-mail does not ensure confidentiality.  There are ways to encrypt e-mails, but these are not user friendly.  In order to help protect your confidentiality I prefer to avoid all e-mail contacts. 


Q. How confidential are our sessions?

A.  In today's world there are multiple limitations to confidentiality.  Insurance have the right to check how many times you have been seen, for how long and what kind of treatment you are receiving. After all they are paying and want to know how well the money is spent.  One way to avoid leaving a national paper trail, is to pay out of pocket.  I will still need to keep documentation (it is the state law), but there will not be any paper trail left outside of my office.


Q. What type of therapy do you use?  or do you use CBT, DBT and any other list of letters from the alphabet soup?

A. I believe that at the most basic level, psychotherapy is a collaborative interaction between two people.  One person (the therapist) attempts through effective listening to get a close  understanding of  the experiences of the second person (the client).    Once an issue is defined, I can use several techniques to help promote change in the  proper directionThese can include, but are not limited to,  CBT (looking at one' perception of the world), DBT (using spirituality and mindfulness), Metaphors, and humor when needed.  


Q . Do you do psychological testing?

A.  As a psychologist with expertise in chronic disability, I  perform psychological evaluations prior to medical treatment (spinal cord stimulator trial/implant) or  to assist people in their application for Disability I also perform evaluations related to the immigration process (Naturalization exam exemptions (N-648) and asylum seeking).